Sunday, July 08, 2007

Mommy talk July 9th





July 9: Your biggest challenge of motherhood: how things were when baby was first born, how things changed as time went on and what type of challenges are you facing right now?

My biggest challenge with Nathan wasn't the obvious, doctor appointments, monitors or surgeries and things that you would expect but it was making the doctors and nurses see that I was his mother and I was the one that took care of him not my mom. It was hard being so young and watching the doctors talk to my mom about my son instead of me, they looked at me like I had no idea what was going on, which in reality I would leave the office and explain it to my mom. It wasn't until I started getting vocal about it with the doctors and saying things like "look I am sorry but you really need to start talking to me and not my mom, she is grandma and I take care of him not the other way around." It started changing really fast after that! LOL
The challenges that I am facing now are making my mom realize that I am in control of what Nathan does and does not do and not her! LOL....Funny how things change isn't. My mom and I disagree on how to handle certain things and she likes to go behind me and get him what I said he could get or baby him and make things worse when he does get into trouble. Nathan is not stupid by any means and he has figured out how to play her! It is getting better. I think my mom just had to adjust to the fact that I am married and Nathan has someone else in his life other than me, my mom and dad, if that makes any sense what so ever. It truly is getting better and she is learning to back off and keep her opinion to herself (somewhat) when my husband and I punish Nathan for doing something wrong.

No comments: