Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Remembering things from the past

Today was a very hectic day for me. I had to run a bunch of errands and I had little Gavin, the boy I am baby sitting. He is only 17 months old and yes this is practice for me, but it has been almost 10 years since I have had to tote a diaper bag, a stroller and so many other things! Needless to say it was not much fun, but I am so thankful for my son. He is such a big help. He is truly going to be a great big brother! I am kind of proud of him, he changed his first poopie diaper yesterday with very little complaints. LOL....

I first took Nathan to a doctor's appointment this morning, he has been having problems with his allergies and it seems to be getting worse and I have been fighting this for 2 weeks now and its not getting better, so with an added fever and a "mom my ear hurts" I knew it was time to go in and get it checked out! The clinic on base was very good about getting him in on such short notice, and I am very glad for it. His diagnosis is a sinus cold, which we knew he had, but he has an ear infection in his right ear that is so bad, it looks like his ear drum will rupture. Now normally you would see the red ear and he would be screaming with pain but not Nathan, there are no symptoms other than a temp and him saying my ear hurts! Go figure! It always makes you feel like crap you know. So we now have him on an antibiotic so soon he should be feeling better. We then went to pick up the prescription and off to the FED EX office to mail out a package. Then to my doctor's office so I could fill out paperwork there to get all of my immunizations sent to them, then a real quick lunch to only get a phone call saying "hey the decals are finally in so you need to come up to the base to pick them up." So we loaded back up in the car and off to the base, to which I was told once again that I could not get my decal sticker! I am so over that! I now have to go to a different satellite city hall to get the proper paperwork that is needed. Which by the way I will do tomorrow, I refuse to do it today!

We then head home and try to take a nap, which means Nathan falls right to sleep (he really is not feeling well), and I try to get the baby to sleep and of course he was fighting it. I then remember how my grandma would put Nathan to sleep. She would put him in the "grandma death lock" as I called it and then she would hum three songs; The Old Rugged Cross, Amazing Grace, and then Praise God and by the time she was done he would have this look of peace over him and he would be out cold. It was so funny how he would do that every time, he could not fight it! So I kind of laughed and started doing what she did and by the time I got half way through with the fist song he had stopped fighting me and had that same look on his face that Nathan got. He too was out cold by the time I was done.

As I was laying him down I almost cried, I miss my grandma so much she truly was a remarkable woman and she loved my son so much her doctor said that he believed that he was the only reason why she lived as long as she did after she got sick. She was given only 2 months to live right before Nathan was born and my family without telling me had decided to put her in a nursing home. I found out by mistake and refused to let it happen. Yes I threatened my family by telling them if they did it they would never see me or Nathan again (I really meant it too) that they could figure something out until I was able to come home and stay with her. I think I told both of her sisters that they should be ashamed of themselves because grandma has taken care of both of them and there kids before and she has never asked them for anything and they could take a few weeks out of there schedules to help her for once. (my grandma was the oldest in the family) Long story short, I won, they all got together and made sure she got to stay at home until I could be there and when I brought Nathan home from the hospital her face lit up and she changed so fast, she had energy to do things and didn't seem as depressed as before. She would put him to sleep everyday for his nap and if he would sleep for three hours she would sit in her chair and hold him until he woke up. She refused to move and refused to give that up no matter how much I begged her to let me put him down.

I really miss her.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Ok on to a happier subject. Ray took his 19 foot boat out last weekend to go fishing for the first time. He was a little worried about how she would do and he found out really fast that she did OK. They were (he took a friend with him) only gone for 6 hours that included travel time, trolling and the hour it took to get the 150 pound yellow fin tuna that they caught into the boat! No joke he once again caught a huge fish! We have talked to people that have lived on the island for 10 years and have never caught anything that size and he has been out twice and caught one both times.... How funny is that! Here is a picture of the fish at our house before they took it to have someone show them how to cut the fish up. We did not know how to fillet this thing! LOL I know that is too funny right.




The fish was huge. I think I may regret that he caught this thing because now he and his friends seem even more interested in doing this every weekend. I keep joking with him telling him, I see how this is going to work, I am going to stuck at home every weekend with the baby and he will go out and play with Nathan and the boys... He keeps reassuring me that he will not be like that and the funny thing is I believe him. He actually likes having me around... go figure. LOL..

I just got a phone call from Ray and I need to run his jeep up to base so they can do an inspection on it! Apparently he has had one too many of the marines get into trouble for not having the proper documentation for there cars, so now they are inspecting every ones! It should be fun... Since I know of 3 that do not have there current inspection stickers! FUN FUN!!!!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That story of your grandma was so touching! It's so wonderful that you have memories of her like that. Sounds like you were a terrific granddaughter and she was lucky to have you!

That is amazing that he's caught such big fish both times he's went out. He's either really good at fishing, or really lucky at fishing lol.

I hope Nathan feels well very soon. I'll be praying for him.

kbug said...

Grandma's are so very special. My dad's mom raised three sons just like me and I would have loved to have been able talk to her about that when my three sons were younger, but she died long before they were born. My mom was a perfect grandma...she would sit and rock the boys when they were little and hum. What's funny is, I find myself doing that when I hold babies now...it must be in the genes.....hahaha. Mom died the year my oldest boy graduated from high school, nearly 13 years ago, but I still miss her something awful.